AFTER HOURS HELPLINE
We have an eight week roster which is covered by AA members. When the office is closed the calls are diverted via a pre-programmed online system to the members’ phones. You will not only be talking to the still-suffering alcoholic who calls for help, but also to current AA members who often call to verify meeting times and locations, also to visitors from inter-State and overseas.
Rosters Monday to Friday are from 4.30pm to 8.30am the next morning.
Rosters on Saturday and Sunday are a 24 hour commitment, 9am to 9am. It is possible for two people to share a Saturday or a Sunday, splitting the day between them amicably.
Being a “Phone Vollie” is very rewarding service work. What do you need?
- About one year of sobriety so you know something about AA in Western Australia.
- Access to the National AA Online Meetings List https://meetings.aa.org.au/near/ and the ability to make quick searches on behalf of the callers – be able to guide them to do the same – be able to locate the current Calendar of Events on our website https://aaperthwa.org/meetings-metro-country/ – or have a copy of the current Serenity with meetings list and Calendar of Events.
- A copy of the 12th Step List – updated annually and sent to all Phone Vollies.
- A list of emergency numbers ie. detox centres and rehabs.
- A willingness to listen and help the still suffering alcoholic.
If you would like to be a Helpline Vollie please call the office during opening hours on 9325-3566 (Mon-Fri 9.00am-4.30pm).