AFTER HOURS HELPLINE – (previously referred to as “Voca”)
We have an eight week roster which is covered by AA members. When the office is closed the calls are diverted via the “Mastercall” After Hours Helpline to members’ landlines or mobile phones. You will not only be talking to the still-suffering alcoholic who calls for help, but also to current AA members who often call to verify meeting times and locations, also to visitors from inter-State and overseas.
Rosters Monday to Friday are from 4.30pm to 8.30am the next morning.
Rosters on Saturday and Sunday are a 24 hour commitment, 9am to 9am. It is possible for two people to share a Saturday or a Sunday, splitting the day between them amicably.
Being a “Phone Vollie” is very rewarding service work. What do you need?
- About one year of sobriety so you know something about AA in Western Australia.
- A current copy of Serenity containing the Meetings List – or the ability to leave the online Meetings List and Calendar of Events open on your screen for the duration of your roster.
- A copy of the 12th Step List – updated annually and sent to all Phone Vollies.
- A list of emergency numbers ie. detox centres and rehabs.
- A willingness to listen and help the still suffering alcoholic.
If you would like to be a Helpline Vollie please call the office during opening hours on 9325-3566 (Mon-Fri 9.00am-4.30pm).